The Family Picnic “The Forest Around Us”
On 17 September 2011, at the Forest Research Institute at Sękocin Stary the Family Picnic called “The Forest Around Us” was held. It was organised within the framework of the Jubilee 15th Science Festival. Warsaw University was the main organiser of this project which had enjoyed recognition and popularity for many years.
The main message of the picnic in the International Year of Forests was interactive open-air forest education. The issues of the meeting which were addressed to all the participants in the picnic included the following items:
- "DNA – the secrets of the interior of the tree"
(a laboratory workshop)
- "Trees versus fungi!" (a laboratory
- "We look for a treasure in the forest wilderness"
(a field game)
- "We wander through the forest storeys" (a field
- "What happens to water in a forest?" (drawings,
- "The educational cinema of the Da Vinci Learning
- "The tracks of nature” (competitions, face
painting, individual making of decorative emblems from
- "The identification of voices and tracks of forest animals" (a field game and competition).
The youngsters from the Sękocin Primary School during the class
on “DNA – the secrets of the interior of the tree”
Traditionally, due to the fruitful cooperation between the successive organisers of the Science Festivals at the Forest Research Institute and sponsors, it was possible to make the picnic more attractive. Valuable prizes and education materials popularising the knowledge of nature were presented to all the active participants in the field games, workshops, competitions and quizzes.
This year the large number of the Festival sponsors included:The Editorial Office of the "Tropami Przyrody" Monthly
The September sunshine was an ally of all those interested in the picnic who came over, along with their whole families, to admire the forest in its autumn apparel. Associate Professor Ryszard Szczygieł, Deputy Director for Scientific Research of the Forest Research Institute, addressed his warm words to the numerous youngest participants in the forest competitions and as the host he expressed his satisfaction with the presence of such a large number of young Poles.
The announcement of the results of the questionnaire “The Picnic in the Eyes of the Participants”
The school youth were most interested in the
workshops and experiments related to DNA and in the search for a
treasure in the forest wilderness. The final feature of the meeting, at
the common bonfire and sausage roasting, was the announcement of
the results of the questionnaire “The Picnic in the Eyes of the
Participants”. The most interesting responses included the following
- A family meeting in a natural environment combined with great fun.
- An interesting way of spending leisure time. In the course of the picnic you can learn a lot and get to know the forest better.
- A great thing: Education and fun!
The photographs from the Festival activities and the family picnic are shown in the photo gallery: "The Forest Around Us"
All those interested are invited to come next year!
Text: Artur Sawicki
Coordinator of the Science Festival at the Forest Research Institute
Photos: Leszek Kruczek